Cow Hide Rugs – Essential Interior Décor Elements
Cowhide rugs have gained popularity in interior design for several reasons. From adding natural texture to the home to enhancing the overall décor, these rugs serve multiple purposes. But did you know how these decorative accessories are made? And how to take care of them? Read on.
How Cow Hide Rugs Are Made
Cowhides are unique pieces that can bring warmth and texture to any room. The process of turning a cowhide into a rug is quite fascinating. Let’s discuss the basic steps how these rugs are created.
- First, the hides are collected from slaughterhouses or farms where cows have died naturally. They are then transported to tanneries where they undergo a series of treatments to prepare them for use in rugs.
- The first step is soaking the hides in water to remove any dirt or debris. Then, they undergo a fleshing process that removes excess fat and tissue from the underside of the hide. After this, the hides go through several chemical baths which help preserve them and prevent decay.
- Next, the skins go through a drying process before being stretched out on frames where they are softened using specialized machines. This helps give them their signature soft texture while also making them more pliable.
- Skilled craftsmen cut and stitch together different sections of the hide to create beautiful patterns and designs for each rug. Once finished, these unique pieces can be used as statement pieces in any home decor scheme.
Creating cowhide rugs is truly an art form that requires skillful craftsmanship at every stage of production. It’s no wonder why these gorgeous natural products continue to be popular among homeowners looking for one-of-a-kind accents for their homes!
How To Care For Your Cow Hide Rug
Taking care of your cowhide is important if you want to maintain its beauty and quality for years to come. Here are some tips on how to properly care for it!
- Vacuum the rug regularly with a soft brush attachment to remove any loose dirt or dust.
- Avoid placing your rug in direct sunlight as it can cause fading and discoloration over time.
- If there are any spills or stains, blot them immediately with a clean cloth or paper towel. Avoid rubbing the stain to prevent it from further spreading and penetrating through.
- Use a mild soap solution and warm water to clean any stubborn stains, but be sure not to saturate the hair too much
- Allow your cowhide rug to air dry naturally in a well-ventilated area away from direct heat sources such as radiators or fireplaces.
Following these simple steps will help ensure that your cowhide rug stays looking beautiful and lasts for many years to come.
Cowhides have become increasingly popular due to their unique texture and durability which make them an excellent addition to any home decor style whether modern or traditional. We hope this guide helped you understand why taking proper care of these rugs is essential!